• 2 ½ pounds stew beef
• ¼ pound pancetta (no need for broth)
• carrots, onions, celery, mushrooms, sliced or chopped (These are my favorites, but add your own)
• 1 teaspoon cumin (again, my favorite, but add your own)
• salt & pepper
In a frying pan:
• Saute the pancetta, remove to a crock pot
• Coat beef with flour, salt and pepper, braise, add to the pot
• Add vegetables and spices to the pot and cover with water.
• Cook slowly for six or so hours.
Some people add potatoes, but I usually boil noodles and add them toward the end. Using two packages makes the recipe go a long way; I simply have several meals in the freezer, or I can feed a crowd.