Tuscan White Bean Stew
Here’s my summarized recipe from Tasting Italy: a Culinary Journey, (National Geographic, 2018). This is healthy, and although not the simplest recipe, it is by no means complicated.
Salt and pepper
1 pound (2 1/5 cups) dried cannellini beans
1 T olive oil
6 oz. pancetta
1 onion, chopped
2 carrots, peeled and diced
2 stalk celery, chopped
3 cloves crushed garlic
4 cups chicken broth
2 bay leaves
1 pound kale, stemmed and chopped
1 (14.5-ounce) can diced tomatoes
Sprig of fresh rosemary or teaspoon of dried
- Soak beans in salted water as directed on package.
- In a Dutch oven saute pancetta in oil for about 8 minutes until brown.
- Add onion, carrots and celery and sauté for about 10 minutes; add garlic and sauté for about a minute.
- Stir in broth, bay leaves and beans and bring to a boil. Add water to adjust the consistency you want.
- Cook in 250 degree oven for an hour.
- Add kale and tomatoes, and cook for 45 minutes.
- Add rosemary, salt and pepper to taste fifteen minutes before eating.